Friday, January 28, 2011

Reflection - Visual Arts

What?
In the visual arts unit, we learned about the basic principles (value, color, shape, line, texture, and space) and elements (proportion, balance, rhythm, variety, emphasis, and unity) of visual art.  We looked at and analyzed different works of art that demonstrated the principles and elements. 

So What?
As a teacher, this means that I can teach my future students about visual art.  Not only have we learned about ways to create visual artwork, but we also learned how to critique and analyze works of art.  Visual art is something that I can teach my students to appreciate, as well.  As a person, knowing about and valuing visual art makes me more educated, more cultured, and a more well-rounded person.

Now What?
As I learn more about the visual arts, I can better plan to incorporate them into my lessons and activities.  I've always been a huge fan of arts, especially visual arts, so my perspective hasn't changed much.  I've simply learned a couple extra facts and tips during this great unit.  I think visual arts is something that kids enjoy and are enthusiastic about, whether it's fingerpainting, coloring, drawing, or any other method, and I look forward to mixing the visual arts into my classroom.

And...
I really enjoyed this group project.   Laura and Angie were great teammates.  My group worked extremely well together.  I feel like each of us pulled our own weight; we each were assigned a piece of the virtual handout, and we each brought supplies for our project itself.  I thought the project my group came up with was genius and our other classmates liked it, too.  This project was a FANTASTIC way to incorporate visual art into the classroom while encouraging team work and allowing creativity.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, you make some great points about the importance of not only having children enjoy the process of making art projects, but introducing them to art elements, criticism, etc. can help them enjoy it even more.

    ReplyDelete