Friday, January 14, 2011

The Arts and Me

The arts have always been something that's interested me.  I love the freedom and creativity that comes with the arts.  I remember when I was seven.  My local grocery store had a coloring contest near Halloween.  I found the best picture in my new coloring book and went to work.  I went to the store a few weeks later to find out the results...and I won! There wasn't a happier girl on the planet.  Perhaps this memory is what sparked my love for the arts.

Music is an art form that is dear to me.  I absolutely use music to express myself, but I also use it as a learning tool. You can find a song about anything, which I adore.  I recall old teachers of mine using songs in the classroom to help us remember a certain something, and I can remember some of those songs to this day.  My favorite class in high school was choir.  The times I had in choir were what made my high school education excellent.  Not only was choir fun, but I believe that it helped me in my other subjects as well.

As a future teacher, I absolutely plan on incorporating the arts into my classroom.  I wouldn't want to be in a classroom without them.  The arts are what hooks kids - the colors, the shapes, the sounds, the movements.  It lets them express themselves, and allows them to interpret the world around them.  In my opinion, a classroom without the arts is an unsuccessful one.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I think you have made a key observation - that the arts help students to interpret their world. I am excited about your enthusiasm for using the arts in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete